Amazing

Miss P quite surprised me yesterday when she and a friend took themselves off to the local civic centre to become blood donors. It wasn’t her altruism that threw me. Miss P is a thoughtful person and despite what the media says about young people, they’re not all selfish, self-centred idiots. It was that she was prepared to have a needle stuck in her arm to donate.

Like me, she has a needle phobia, so managing to overcome her fears to give blood was, as the ad says, doing something amazing. I was really proud of her. The more young people who become donors when they reach the age of 17 the better, especially when you see how few days supply there are left in the blood bank.

• krip 22nd August 2005

I've been topping up the blood bank for a few years now and I have seen people faint just by entering the room. Tell Miss P that she is a good example of the yoof of today. Extra seed for her today 🙂

• Shooting Parrots 22nd August 2005

Sad to say, I haven't. It's the needlephobia thing. And I've always felt ashamed that I can't.

• Anonymous 23rd August 2005

Having given blood, I can tell you that when they say "it won't hurt a bit" that they are lying. Big props to your very brave daughter.

Incidentally, I can no longer give blood as I am gay. Nice to see homophobia and stereotyping still in the NHS, eh?

Mark

• Shooting Parrots 23rd August 2005

Hi Mark,
    Have they actually said that to you? According to their website, the restriction is if you are HIV positive, or if you think you may be. If you're not, no problem.

• Anonymous 23rd August 2005

Hi there, great site, nice people, you guys helped alot.

Please visit my site at Affiliate Internet Make Money Online Program

Thanks

• Laura 23rd August 2005

Oooo, look Polly, you got spammed!

• Anonymous 23rd August 2005

Start-Up Unveils Searchable, Wiki-Ready, Do-It-Yourself Web Kits
    FUSING TWO WEB TRENDS, SEARCH personalization and consumer-generated content, a fresh Internet entrant named Jeteye Inc.
    Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you and i like your blog! If you like, go see my indianapolis 500 ticket related site. You may still find something of interest.

• Shooting Parrots 23rd August 2005

Yes — twice! Still, it makes the comments total look healthy!

• Anonymous 25th August 2005

Are you sure about that, Polly?! I checked about 6 months ago and gave the person on the phone a harsh time. I nearly went to a protest about it less than 3 months ago. I'm sure I'd have heard…

The rules are that anyone who has ever had gay sex (including with a condom) at any point can never give blood. It's that strict. Gay people have the choice of lying or not going: it's as simple as that.

It really does upset me.

Mark

• Shooting Parrots 25th August 2005

Hi Mark,
    I can only go off what they say on their wevsite and I quote: "Are you HIV positive or do you think you might be HIV positive?"

Obviously if you were, you wouldn't, but if you ain't they'd be mad to turn you away.