Simple solutions that are obvious to “ordinary” people seem to be utterly beyond the typical politician, although I have a suspicion that they deliberately complicate the straightforward to justify their existence.
As if to confirm my opinion, the following dropped into this morning. Entitled Patriotic Retirement Plan, it was addressed to Messrs Cameron and Clegg:
There are about 10 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them £2 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:
- They must retire. Ten million job openings – unemployment fixed
- They must buy a new British made car. Ten million cars ordered – Car Industry fixed
- They must either buy a house or pay off their mortgage – Housing Crisis fixed
- They must send their kids to school/college/university – Future fixed
- They must buy £100 worth of alcohol/tobacco a week ……. and there’s your money back in duty/tax etc
It can’t get any easier than that! And it only costs 0.28% of what you have pledged to bail out Ireland!
What a brilliant idea! So just how hard can it be?