Vernon Park was built by Stockport Corporation and opened on 20th September 1858 on land donated by George John Warren (Lord Vernon).
It was an instant success with the local cotton mill workers who helped to construct many of the features of the park. The drinking fountain pictured above is an example of this and was presented by the workpeople of Messrs P Greg & Co of Reddish in 1860.
This was consolidated by an Act of Parliament in 1847 although it wasn’t until 1857 that the “Manorial Tolls Committee purchased at auction, from their own pocket, 47,000 trees and shrubs”, and work on laying out the park began.
The features of the park include the fountain in the lily pond, subscribed by the workers of the India Mill, bowling greens, a period-style bandstand rebuilt in 2000, a carpet bed featuring plants from around the world and a sunken rose garden.
This houses a range of exhibits, from fossils and neolithic remains to relatively modern displays, such as the household kitchen artifacts from World War II pictured left.
George John Venables-Vernon, the 5th Baron Vernon (1803 to 1866), was the MP for Derbyshire until 1835 when he succeeded his father in the House of Lords. Vernon County in New South Wales was named in his honour.