Y is for Yellow

IkeaY is the most difficult letter in ABC Wednesday (apart from the other 25) so this week I’ve gone for the obvious — Y is for Yellow.

In fact, yellow can be a common and dominant colour, especially if you live in the nearby town of Ashton as you can see from my photo on the left. It shows the great slab of yellow that is the Ikea store in the centre of town which can be seen for miles around.

Unlike other Ikea stores, this one isn’t out-of-town and it is multi-storey rather than being on the level so it does tend to dominate the skyline.

But the big question about yellow is why isn’t it a surname when other colours are? White, black, green, brown, grey and even pink and orange all feature as second names, so why not yellow?

Well it was, at least once upon a time. The place was Yorkshire and at least one person claims Lancelot Yellow (1723-1797) as an ancestor.

Jim BowieBut there are more famous “yellows” — David and Jim, for example, and quite a few Americans that I’m not familiar with. I’m speaking, of course, about the surname Bowie.

The name is of Irish and Scottish origin and is derived from the Gaelic nickname buidhe, meaning yellow or fair-haired which Jim Bowie most definitely wasn’t as you can see from the image I’ve lifted from Wikipedia.

But I can’t leave my yellow subject without including Yellow by Coldplay — click the image link below to watch the video.

Visit other ABC Wednesday sites

• rog 6th July 2011

maybe a common word, but well (Cold)played
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

• Meryl 6th July 2011

What a great yellow post! I never thought of it this way and loved your presentation.

• Wanda 6th July 2011

Good job…. Like your Yellow’s.

• Leslie 6th July 2011

Interesting comment you make about “yellow” not being a surname – never thought about that before.

Leslie
    abcw team

• photowannabe 6th July 2011

I never thought about yellow being a surname either. Very interesting information.

• Reader Wil 6th July 2011

What do you think of the yellow press? And isn’t yellow the colour used for cowards? In my country yellow is the colour of hate. I don’t know why because I like yellow.

• Mr Parrot 6th July 2011

Thanks for the comments. I hadn’t thought of the Yellow Press. In the UK we more often refer to the Red Tops, particularly relevant at the moment.

And I’ve never come across yellow as the colour of hate!

• Jane 6th July 2011

What a lot of yellow information! – I love shopping at Ikea – but I don,t think the store on the M6 is yellow – but yes ColdPlay are the best – I love their yellow song – Jane

• Francisca 6th July 2011

True it is that I’ve never met a Mr or Ms Yellow and interesting that Bowie refers to that colour. Hadn’t heard the Yellow song by ColdPlay, I don’t think, and that was nice to hear. Good play on Y today!

• Jane 6th July 2011

WHOA!! That yellow is BRIGHT!
    Jane x

• casas rurales baratas en granada 24th April 2012

obviously like your web-site but you have to check the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to tell the reality then again I will certainly come again again.

• Trevor Rowley 24th April 2012

It seems that perhaps Mr (or Mrs) CRB at Granada TV comes into the category of “Are you ‘avin’ a giraffe?” and perhaps could be filed in the drawer marked “slightly round the twist.” Having said that, he (or she) might be a perfectly good egg.