Playing Nicely

Code is PoetryWith just over a week to go before we fly off to the US, it’s time to get down to all those essential preparations. Like messing around with my blog theme.

Having played with the Thesis framework for a couple of weeks, I thought it was time to a few ambitious tweaks that you can now see.

It hasn’t all gone smoothly. Changing the stylesheet can result in things just looking wrong, but once you start messing with the function files, well your site can simply disappear.

But I’ve got there in the end. The comments link has gone from under the post headline and now appears in the speech bubble on the right. The date has also moved to the tab on the left. That was a bit tricky and had me scratching my head for a while, but I finally managed it.

I’m particularly pleased with the Flickr, Facebook and RSS buttons next to the search box as this is the first time I’d had a go at using sprites.

This means using a single piece of artwork that includes the two different states of each button. Meanwhile, the sprites rush around at the speed of light to make sure the right one is peeping out of the correct window at the right time.

At WordPress, they say that code is poetry. I think it’s black magic.

• Roger Green 6th April 2012

Glad it worked.
    I would have given up in despair.

• rhymeswithplague 6th April 2012

Neat-o, old chap!

I am officially envious.

• Jennyta 6th April 2012

Having spent many hours wrestling with the old style Blogger, I can only echo Roger Green’s comment! Essential, as you say. You would have spent the whole holiday wishing you were back here getting to grips with it otherwise. 😉

• Mr Parrot 6th April 2012

Actually it’s not as difficult as it seems, especially if you’re using a framework like Thesis that comes with lots of ‘how-tos’. And it’s quite fun to experiment, or at least I think so!

• Mr Parrot 6th April 2012

I should have said that you probably need to have a WordPress site. I’m no sure how easy or otherwise it is on Blogger these days.

• Captain Kirk-Pudding 7th April 2012

Nudge! Nudge! Wink! Wink! I hear what you’re saying about the trip to America. Nice “cover” story. By the way I think you’re very brave to have fiddled with WordPress etc. to create a very smart blog appearance. How many pairs of Bermuda shorts are you taking? And remember a knotted hanky for your bonce!

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: