Muzak

Just MarriedI suspect that I’m about at the end of  talking about our time in Las Vegas (relieved sighs all round) apart from perhaps a photo or two on Flickr.

Like the one on the left that I snapped on The Strip. I was taken with the incongruity of the lady on the bike holding the posy of flowers. It was only afterwards that I spotted the ‘Just Married’ sign on the back of the bike in the forefront.

I had intended to finish with some observations on American life, both good and bad, and I still might once I get my thoughts in order.

But if I have one major gripe, it would be taxation. The price of things you see in the shops are never what you’re expected to pay once various taxes have been added. I particularly need to find out what the transportation tax is that was added to our motel bills.

What I hadn’t intended to do was video any of our stay as that isn’t really my interest, but I did anyway and have been experimenting with various free editing programs.

So I’ll leave Las Vegas for now with a video taken on our helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon. If it appears to show a bumpy ride, it’s because I speeded up some of the footage to shorten the film to fit the music.

Ah, the music! I wasn’t really deliberately melodramatic – the pilot really did play the Ride of the Valkyries as we took off.

• rhymeswithplague 15th May 2012

Huzzah! Bravo! Magnificent! Or as we say in the colonies, “You done good.”

• john 15th May 2012

I hated the two tier health system when I lived there for a while
    oh and the fact no bugger WALKS ANYWHERE!
    OH and Americans cannot make tea properly either!
    pps people talk IN the cinema

what do I miss?
    good service
    great food
    good teeth

• Jay from The Depp Effect 16th May 2012

Wow. You certainly get your money’s worth in a chopper, don’t you? When we flew from Vegas to the Grand Canyon by light aircraft it was much higher and we hardly saw the canyon!

Trouble is, I can’t get my husband into a helicopter. He regards them as slightly less dangerous as crossing the M1 blindfold on a dark and rainy night with your ankles tied together.

Love the lady on the bike with the flowers! It’s just the sort of thing I’d take a photo of – I just missed getting a shot of a gondola riding in the back of a boat when we were in Venice!

• rhymeswithplague 16th May 2012

I would give a month’s wages to have seen a gondola riding in the back of a boat.

• Mr Parrot 16th May 2012

Thanks Jay, but we flew in plane from Vegas (Boulder City) to Grand Canyon Airport on a 16 seater Twin Otter before getting on the helicopter at the other end.

• Jay from The Depp Effect 17th May 2012

Ah .. well, even so, I envy you the view. I’d love to ride in a helicopter. *Sigh*

@ Bob – ROFL! I’ll go back immediately. Your month’s wages would probably pay for the trip!

• Katherine 22nd May 2012

I am not at all tired of the slides of your holiday. And your acerbic wit and insightful comments are the condiments on top. Don’t apologise, please!

• Katherine 22nd May 2012

PS, it should have been obvious, surely, that she was just married. She’s wearing white! Duh.