Busy Doing Nothing

BrabynsI’ve had a bit of break from blogging and blogdom over the last few days for what I’d like to think are quite important reasons.

The Infinity Blade game on my iPad has taken up a fair bit of my time this weekend and, of course, there has been lots of sport on tv, from Andy Murray’s late night heroics at Wimbledon which was entertaining to Italy’s drubbing by Spain which wasn’t.

I’ve identified another of my five-times great-grandparents (I’m not far from the full set) and spent hours agonising over whether to buy a petrol mower or stick to electric to replace the one that conked out spectacularly last week.

I also stood in the rain quite a lot this weekend trying to keep my camera dry while I took photos at the Brabyns Championship Dog Show as a favour for a friend, like the one above. (The photo, not the friend)

I had planned to go into Manchester yesterday to take photos of the annual Madonna Del Rosario procession, but the weather looked so miserable that I didn’t bother. (Sorry to have missed you Trevor)

As I said, I’d like to think these were the important things that were keeping me from blogging, but they weren’t. I just couldn’t think of anything to say.

However, you can always rely on the Sunday papers for a bit of inspiration and an article I read yesterday on the state of American television got me thinking, but it will have to wait until tomorrow because I’ve got lots of doing nothing to keep me busy.

• Advisory Pudding 2nd July 2012

I bought a Bosch electric mower for my 43metre long garden. It’s a good workhorse. My last Flymo kept going for twenty four years with only one sharpening of the blades. Personally, I’d not have a petrol mower because they’re more liable to breakdown and fuel issues. Beware when buying a new electric mower as nowadays some of the cheaper models have stupid plastic blades which are about as much use as a car alarm in Liverpool.

• Roger Green 2nd July 2012

It was HOT yesterday. Watched videos!

• Mr Parrot 2nd July 2012

Thanks for the advice YP. Our now defunct mower was a Bosch – the motor burnt out in a cloud of smoke. We have quite a long garden, hence the possibility of going for a petrol replacement, but I think we’ll stick with another with a 43cm blade!

• Jennyta 2nd July 2012

I am wondering why Mr Advisory Pudding NEEDS a mower when he has his sheep to do the job for him – or have said sheep been surreptitiously turned into lamb chops?

• Mr Parrot 2nd July 2012

Now you come to mention it Jenny, there was that barbecue he talked about over in Blogland…

• Advisory Pudding 2nd July 2012

Regarding my sheep, both Beau and Peep have been under the weather of late, unable to munch the green sward so we’ve had to bring them indoors for some TLC. In the meantime the Bosch is vital to ensure our lawn doesn’t become a meadow.

• rhymeswithplague 2nd July 2012

Anyone owning an electric mower in the U.S. is looked at a bit askance and regarded as “not a team player.”

I have had an electric mower for the past 13 years and will never go back to what Yorkshire Pudding calls “petrol”….and although I have not sliced up the extension cord even once, the mower finally gave up the ghost this season and I have been in a bit of a quandary about replacing it. So far my son has driven over and mowed my lawn a couple of times (25 miles roundtrip) but I am thinking seriously of either hiring some local teenagers or purchasing a goat. (I’m kidding about the goat as the Homeowners Association would have a conniption fit, which is one step above a hissy fit and one step below a dadgum fit.

• rhymeswithplague 2nd July 2012

• Mr Parrot 2nd July 2012

Typical! All these things I was busy not doing and you lot are only interested in the state of my lawn!

Mr Plague: You do surprise me that petrol (gas) mowers should be considered non-u in the US. Is it something to do with the size of the lawns or is it a macho thing with that smell of two-stroke in the morning?

And just to point out, I’ve heard of conniptions and hissy fits, but dad gums are a new one on me.

• Katherine 2nd July 2012

Good Gracious Robert! You have an enormous lawn! Fancy expecting your son to do it!

Re. Dog shows, been there, done that with an Airedale. Weird places. Did I ever do a blog about the woman who kept bits of liver in her bra?

• Mr Parrot 3rd July 2012

I think I’d remember a post about a woman who kept liver in her bra. Do tell!

• rhymeswithplague 3rd July 2012

Katherine, you are too funny! Unless you are being serious, and then I apologize for my less-than-accurate writing. I didn’t mean that my son amassed 25 miles roundtrip “driving over my lawn” but driving over (from his house) TO my lawn, which is only slghtly larger than a postage stamp. My 1/3 acre (including the house) is dwarfed by the huge estates here in the eastern part of Cherokee County. I am humbled even to be in their neighborhood. They, of course, are outraged that I am in their neighborhood.

Shooting Parrots, dadgum is a variant of doggone, both of which are “minced oaths” used in place of the words “God” and “damned” , reminiscent of the way a person might say “Cheese and crackers got all muddy” instead of “Jesus Christ, God Almighty”. If you do not know such a person, you must lead a rather boring life.

• rhymeswithplague 3rd July 2012

The words “(25 miles round trip)” in my first comment should have appeared after the phrase “my son has driven over” instead of after “and mowed my lawn a couple of times” and I repent in sackcloth and ashes for any confusion I might have thereby caused in the minds of Katherine and others.

The real question is why would a woman keep liver in her bra? The answer is not to keep the onions company.

Yours for accuracy in communication,
    rhymeswithplague