Eureka!

Abdul the Bulbul-AmeerI’m afraid that my temporary obsession with the obscure cartoon, Abdul Abulbul Amir, hasn’t shown any sign of going away, at least until now – I finally tracked down a copy of it on YouTube.

I can’t believe that I didn’t come across it earlier, possibly because it was under the title Abdul the Bulbul-Ameer, but I thought the search engines would have taken care of that anomaly.

Anyway, I  can now lay the whole business to rest by including it on my blog and you’ll find it below.

The person who posted it on YouTube says that the cartoon is banned because it is politically incorrect and includes the following to cover him or herself:

WARNING this is NOT for children and was only uploaded for the sake of history. This cartoon features unfair racial stereotypes and in NO way shape or form should ever be imitated. This is from the 1930’s.

He or she is wrong with the last bit – Abdul the Bulbul-Ameer was produced in 1941 which also explains why there is some racial stereotyping going on.

Abdul is depicted as the classic bullying character (think Bluto) with a more positive portrayal of Ivan Skavinsky Skavar. Of course, Russia had just formed an alliance with Britain after Hitler had invaded the Soviet Union which probably explains it.

Anyway, here is the video – hopefully that is now the obsession exorcised! (Update: the video I found has disappeared and I have replaced it with another – 31st May 2017)

• Roger Green 26th August 2012

exercise that exorcism!

• Undertaker Pudding 27th August 2012

Make sure that Mrs Parrots remembers that “Abdul the Bulbul-Ameer” needs to be the lead-in song for your funeral many years hence…. “Fire!” by Arthur Brown at the end.

• rhymeswithplague 27th August 2012

I have a lengthy comment that has morphed into a post on my own blog; it should be appearing shortly.

• Jay from The Depp Effect 29th August 2012

Do you know what you’ve done? Do you?

You’ve solved a minor mystery, that’s what! That song has been floating round my head, popping up from time to time over the years, since my childhood! I don’t remember ever seeing the cartoon before, but I do remember my Dad singing the song, and I never knew who ‘Abdul Abulbul Ameer’ was!

So, I guess I should thank you! And the cartoon was quite fun. 🙂

• Mr Parrot 30th August 2012

I’m glad to help Jay. You have to be a certain age to remember the cartoon and I’m sure you are far too young.

• terry 11th July 2014

Likewise, it’s a song that I heard in infancy, the catchy melody of which runs through my mind from time to time ever since. Probably was on one of my grandparents’ 78rpm platters. Could as likely have been on a tape that I played on their “portable” mono reel-to-reel tape recorder that weighed about as much as an adult shetland pony. I don’t remember seeing the cartoon, but it’s possible that I did, considering how many of those theatrical cartoons were shown on TV.