K is for Lena Celestia Kellogg

This is my contribution to Round Eleven of ABC Wednesday and again I am focusing on people, some famous, some infamous and some half-forgotten.
Dr. Lena Celestia Sadler-Kellogg

Dr. Lena Celestia Sadler-Kellogg

Lena Celestia Kellogg was the sister of John Harvey and William Kellogg of Cornflake fame and one of the ‘discovers’ of The Urantia Book of divine revelations.

Lena was born in 1875 in Michigan and after a brief spell as a teacher, she turned her attention to nursing. It was then that she met and married William S Sadler and the two pursued their medical careers together, graduating with equal honours at the American Medical Missionary College.

Kellogg had a distinguished career in women’s medicine, but at some unspecified time in the 1920s or 30s, the couple claimed that words of enlightenment had been given to them by a race of super-intelligent extraterrestrial beings called the ‘Revelators’ which was channelled through the medium of a comatose patient.

This became known as The Urantia Book, using the name that these cosmic beings supposedly use for the Earth. It was communicated to them to correct errors of religious thinking and also made pronouncements on subjects ranging from evolution to quantum physics.

Dr. Lena Celestia Sadler-Kellogg

Dr. Lena Celestia Sadler-Kellogg

It also included an updated biography of Jesus claiming, among other things, that he visited both Rome and Greece in his late twenties to study philosophy, mathematics and art.

Lena Kellogg died in 1939, long before the revelations were made public in 1955 when The Urantia Book was published by her husband. Parts of it make disturbing reading as the Sadlers were enthusiastic proponents of eugenics, a subject still being discussed by their followers today.

The Kelloggs were ardent Seventh Day Adventists and critics of The Urantia Book point out the similarities with Adventist doctrine and even suggest that the words may have been penned by John Harvey Kellogg himself.

See the Urantia Papers website and Urantia: The Great Cult Mystery by Martin Gardner.

• Belva@MainelyMugUps 26th September 2012

This is an interesting piece. I have Sadlers in my background here in Maine. My great grandfather’s name was Merrill Sadler. I don’t think there was a connection, but when I saw the name it made your story stand out. Thanks for sharing this!

• Roger Green 26th September 2012

Lots of speculation about Jesus’ whereabouts in his 20s. I’d heard India.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

• photowannabe 26th September 2012

Fascinating information.
    I think I will let that book gather dust where ever it is and stick to my trusted Bible.

• Chrissy Brand 26th September 2012

Another Wednesday and another great history lessson 😉

• Mr Parrot 26th September 2012

Roger: I have read similar theories, particularly about the influence of Buddism on Christian teachings.

• Theological Pudding 26th September 2012

Sounds like Lena Kellog was a cornflake herself! Such utter tosh! By the way, during his twenties there is evidence to suggest that Jesus was living in a residential caravan at Patrington Haven east of Hull. On Sundays he was often seen in the social club – sitting alone by the fire exit drinking cider and munching Cheesy Wotsits before hurrying home to watch “Songs of Praise”.

• Julie 26th September 2012

Oh dear … a bit too much sun, I think. I do like the assessment of their being ‘cornflakes’.

That is not to say that the post was uninteresting. Au contraire, I love being able to put my own beliefs (or lack thereof) to the metal … Thank you for your research.

• Ali 26th September 2012

An interesting profile. Thank you for sharing it!

• Ann 26th September 2012

Never knew the Kelloggs we’re off the deep end!!! Interesting to read though.
    Ann

• Jan James 26th September 2012

It seems that quite a few religious folks in that period of time experienced revelations. I’ve read a few of them and found them muddled (or maybe it’s an inspiration I don’t understand), but I believe I’ll go read the cornflake lady’s before I pass judgement on her. Thanks for info.

• Jan James 26th September 2012

“Larry is CEO of UltraSales, Inc., a nationally syndicated advertising and marketing business.” And it’s very evident in the promo material (lots of allusions and absolutely not a fact to be found) that Larry is plying his trade, trying to sell books. Can you imagine the mumbo jumbo if the Bible were being hyped today by Peter, Paul, and all those guys? I don’t want to reward this behavior by spending money on the book, guess I’ll have to snoop around the net.

• Jan James 26th September 2012

The original Urantia papers are available free online. They read a lot like the materials behind the Mormon, JW, and 7th Day churches, and also like Goethe…making me wonder if it’s even possible to read any of this stuff without the drugs those people were obviously on. Further, the language addresses the mind and soul of MAN, God the FATHER and God the SON. Like the world needs another patriarchal religion with too many rules.

I just bought a t-shirt in Kauai that says it all for me – Peace, Love and Coffee.

• Mr Parrot 27th September 2012

Nothing I’ve written is meant to promote the Urantian beliefs or denigrate them, but readers can make up their own minds. However, I have someone lined up for the letter Z who believed that all the world needs are free people of good will who work together without institutions or permanent organizations!

• lindyloumacinitaly 27th September 2012

Calling by from ABC Wednesday,letter K, a fascinating post, thankyou.