Splatter Jack

Dead PumpkinWe were all prepared for the Halloween onslaught last night – bucket of sweets by the door and a lit carved pumpkin on the wall by the gate to advertise that we were to be trick or treated, but no-one came.

We don’t generally get many kids in costumes visiting on All Hallows Eve as we live on a main road, but the bad weather must have kept accompanying parents at home.

At least we had made the effort though, or rather my son had, spending a couple of hours carving a scary looking pumpkin, illuminated by a tea light (why do they call them that?).

I had intended to get a photo of it in the dark, but I’m afraid that what you see above is all that was left of it after some little scrotes decided to play football with it at some point.

It was still intact when I left to collect Miss P from work at around 9:10pm, but had disappeared by the time we got home by ten. It was Master P who rescued it from the gutter a little time later.

Why do they do that? We weren’t too bothered, but for all they knew it could have been some child’s handiwork that they’d smashed to bits. Typical of the times I’m afraid.

• Jennyta 1st November 2012

I don’t like Hallowe’en at all – commercialism at its worst and the apparently legitimate opportunity to wreak havoc, albeit on a small scale (hopefully!) but what a shame that they had to take it out on the poor old pumpkin!

• Roger Green 1st November 2012

my daughter opted to stay home and dole out candy; interesting.

• john gray 1st November 2012

SP
    I am with Jennytaon this but like your son, I always do enjoy carving a face into a pumpkin…… (jack-o-lantarn?)
    I guess I am just a frustrated sculpturer at heart

• Mr Parrot 1st November 2012

One of the best buys I ever made was a pumpkin carving kit, complete with various saws, cutters and other tools, plus a book of stencils. It’s still going strong and only cost about £1.50 from Morrisons.

• Trevor Rowley 1st November 2012

Funny time of the year, Halloween, especially if you get sidetracked into believing that here in the UK we have, in recent years, taken our lead from the people in America with the “trick or treat” idea with children dressing up as monsters and witches and the like. However, as my wife rightly pointed out to me, most cultures have a time in their year when they want to rid themselves of the curses they might have incurred from whatever evil spirits might have been lurking around for the preceeding twelve months. Although I think that the current commercial (and clearly American produced) approach to Halloween is one that we could well do without, they clearly aren’t telling us about something we didn’t already have as I can distinctly recall having Halloween socials at the church that I was associated with quite a few years back. We had illuminated pumpkins and “bobbing for apples” when I was in the Wolf Cubs so we do have our own history where this pastime is concerned.

As an alternative, perhaps we could do ourselves a favour and get rid of “the Prom” which has crept into British teen culture in the last ten or fifteen years or so. Oh, and let’s not forget those dreadful stretch limos as well. Tacky? You bet.

• Mr Parrot 2nd November 2012

Bobbing for apples is something I remember well, in fact I wrote about it a couple of years ago when some local schools decided to ban it on health and safety grounds.

As for jack-o’-lanterns, these were originally carved from turnips by the Scots and Irish to remember the souls held in purgatory and the tradition was was exported to the US where turnips were replaced by pumpkins which were easier to find.

I agree with you about the ‘proms’. I’m not quite sure when the good old end of term disco was replaced with posh frocks, dinner suits and stretch limos!

• Wiki Pudding 2nd November 2012

Tealights derive their name from their original use in teapot warmers. If there’s anything else you need to know then just ask – but no questions about gay hotspots in Yorkshire please.

• rhymeswithplague 2nd November 2012

Here’s a treasure-trove of information regarding this time of year from Martha of Ireland over at the internetmonk website….