Live and Learn

Or possibly not. As I read in the Sunday Times magazine today, in 1793, in Wilbad, Germany, 13 people shared a sausage. (Must have been a bloody big porker or very slim rations.) Within hours they became seriously ill and six of them died.

Their disease became known as botulism, coined from the Latin word for sausage — botulus, although this site says it was black pudding, yum-yum. And had it been boiled (as it should be) they might have been saved.

As a long ago drinking buddy would have had it, “Who’d a’ thowt it.”

If you have found a spelling error, please, notify us by selecting that text and tap on selected text.

0 comments… Add yours

Your email will not be published on this site, but note that this and any other personal data you choose to share is stored here. Please see the Privacy Policy for more information.

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: