Circle Squared

Four years ago I posted this photo of a strange phenomenon affecting our double-glazing. A strange spreading circle with a raggedy edge on the inside of the glass in the insulating cavity.

We were at a loss as to what they were or what they meant. Some sort of alien suburban crop circle, except on glass? A mutant algae that thrives in a vacuum? A mysterious message from the Planet Zog?

It took us a while, but we finally solved the mystery after other circles began to appear. They are caused by the suckers that the workmen used to carry the glass. Or so we’re led to believe.

Nobody’s prefect. If you find any spelling mistakes or other errors in this post, please let me know by highlighting the text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.

2 comments… Add yours
  • Yorkshire Pudding 8th October 2010

    It’s a transparent jellyfish. Two or three are used to bring any two pieces of glass together to create double-glazing. Usually you can’t see the edges. They’re farmed in Indonesia – millions of them. I think their Latin name is doublus-glaziius. Remember Ted Moult? He fell into a writhing vat of them at the “Everest” double glazing factory and died a horrible death. Not widely known that.

  • Polly 8th October 2010

    I thought that glazing engineer was pulling my leg. Your explanation is much more convincing.


Your email will not be published on this site, but note that this and any other personal data you choose to share is stored here. Please see the Privacy Policy for more information.

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: